The Vortex, is a ± 6,500 sq. ft. open space with a 400 person occupancy. We have 22 ft. ceilings with 14’4” from floor to open wood beam, and concrete floor.
WHAT OUR FACILITIES INCLUDE:
- A stage that can be used, or not, as 2 different sizes- 16′ x 8′ or 16′ x 24′
- A make-up/dressing room
- A large refrigerator
- 200 folding chairs
- 25 – 6 ft. folding tables
- 7 stalls in the ladies' bathroom
- 2 stalls and 2 urinals in the men’s bathroom
- Fluorescent lighting
- Power: One 30-amp, 3-prong outlet, and one 50-amp, 3-prong outlet for sound or lighting
- The following outlets are spread throughout the space: Four 20-amp, 4-gang outlets, three 20-amp 2-gang outlets, and two 50-amp, 4-gang 110v outlet
- One 14′ x 15′ production office available for your team to work out of on the day/night of your event. There is WiFi, and a printer/scanner available. Custom multimedia services can also be provided with sufficient notice
- One 12’10” x 14’5″ truckable entry
- Parking lot
WHAT WE HAVE:
- Certificate of Occupancy for a privately-funded community center
- Occupancy rating for 400 people
- Entertainment and Show permit from City of Los Angeles
- No alcohol can be served to the public without an additional permit
Our permits authorize live and DJ music without dancing and all sorts of gatherings from art shows to lectures, as well as all sorts of performances and classes.
Note: Setting up the chairs, stage or large pieces of art reduces floor space and therefore reduces the legal occupancy rating.
WHAT IS AVAILABLE (with a Vortex-approved technician):
- You are responsible for powering the items you use in the space. You must bring your own extension cords, splitters and clip lights if you have booths, art, food service, or ANYTHING that is not connected to the stage. We only run power to the PA and stage lights with advance notice. Any PA and lighting assistance has to be booked two weeks in advance. The details are different for each event. There are several configurations of audio, lights and video available to help accommodate your needs.
- The Vortex is a "do-it-yourself" space. However, using the audio gear requires some skill. The Vortex has a basic sound and lighting system. It can only be operated by someone Vortex-approved. If you have a qualified sound person, DJ, or tech, it may be possible for them to run your show after a quick lesson.
COMMERCIAL & VISUAL MEDIA USE:
Although The Vortex is primarily a community center designed to serve the public, it is also a great location to have your video productions and commercial photo shoots. Contact us for more information.